I am Professor of Computational Astrophysics at the
Institute for Astronomy, an institute within the School
of Physics and Astronomy at the University of
Edinburgh and also part of the Scottish Universities
Physics Alliance. My research interest is in theoretical and computational
astrophysics and I focus primarily on the
evolution of accretion discs and how this relates to the formation of stars and
planets. I am particularly interested in accretion discs that
are massive enough for self-gravity to play a role in their evolution,
and how this may influence the formation and evolution of exoplanets (planets
around stars other than the Sun). For more information about exoplanet
research in Edinburgh, please visit the homepage of the
Centre for Exoplanet Science.
Similarly, you can find more information about computational astrophysics at the
University of Edinburgh by going to the homepage of the
Edinburgh Centre for Computational
Recent Journal Papers
- Kosiarek, M.R., S. Blunt, M. Lopez-Morales, et al. (including K. Rice), K2-291b: A Rocky
Super-Earth in a 2.2 day Orbit, The Astronomical Journal, 157, article id. 116, 2019.
- Hall, C., R. Dong, K. Rice, T.J. Harries, J. Najita, R. Alexander, S. Brittain, The Temporal
Requirements of Directly Observing Self-gravitating Spiral Waves in Protoplanetary Disks with ALMA, The Astrophysical Journal,
871, article id. 228, 2019.
- Rice, K., L. Malavolta, A. Mayo, A. Mortier, et al., Masses and radii for the three super-Earths orbiting
GJ 9827, and implications for the composition of small exoplanets, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 484, 3731-3745, 2019.
- Mortier, A., A.S. Bonomo, V.M. Rajpaul, et al. (including Rice, K.), K2-263 b: A 50 d period sub-Neptune
with a mass measurement using HARPS-N, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 481, 1839-1847, 2018.
- Quénard, D., J.D. Ilee, I. Jiménez-Serra, D.H. Forgan, C. Hall, K. Rice, The Fate of
Formamide in a Fragmenting Protoplanetary Disk, The Astrophysical Journal, 868, article id. 9, 2018.
- Lopez, E.D., K. Rice, How Formation Timescales Affect the Period Dependence of the
Transition Between Rocky Super-Earths and Gaseous Sub-Neptunes and Implications for η⊕, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 479, 5303-5311, 2018.
- Haywood, R.D., A. Vanderburg, A. Mortier, et al. (including Rice, K.), An accurate mass determination for Kepler-1655b, a moderately-irradiated world with a significant volatile envelope, The Astronomical Journal, 155, article id. 203, 2018.
- Köhler, P., J. Hauck, C. Völker, D.A. Wolf-Gladrow, M. Butzin, J.B. Halpern, K. Rice, R.E. Zeebe, Comment on "Scrutinizing the carbon cycle and CO2 residence time in the atmosphere" by H. Harde, Global and Planetary Change, 164, 67-71, 2018.
- Damasso, M., A.S. Bonomo, N. Astudillo-Defru, et al. (including Rice, K.), Eyes on K2-3: A system of three likely sub-Neptunes characterized with HARPS-N and HARPS, Astronomy & Astrophysics, in press, 2018.
- Hall, C., Rice, K., Dipierro, G., Forgan, D., Harries, T., Alexander, R., Is the spiral morphology of the
Elias 2-27 circumstellar disc due to gravitational instability? Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 477, 1004-1014, 2018.
- Rice, K., S. Nayakshin, On fragmentation of turbulent self-gravitating discs in the long cooling time regime,
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 475, 921-931, 2018.
- Rice, K., A review of circumstellar discs, in
The Labyrinth of Star Formation, Astrophysics and Space Science Proceedings, Volume 36, 51-57, 2014.
- Lucas, W., Bonnell, I., Davies, M., Rice, K., Forming misaligned stellar discs around a massive black hole: Cloud infall in the Galactic Centre, in Proceedings of the IAU Symposium 303: The Galactic Center: Feeding and Feedback in a Normal Galactic Nucleus, 245-247, 2014.
- Mamatsashvili, G.R., and W.K.M. Rice, Vortices in self-gravitating disks, in Proceedings of Cool Stars, Stellar Systems and the Sun, 15th Cambridge Workshop, St Andrews, Scotland, 1094, 397-400, 2009.
- Rice, K., Building, Moving and Destroying Planets, in Proceedings of Cool Stars, Stellar Systems and the Sun, 15th Cambridge Workshop, St Andrews, Scotland, 1094, 45-54, 2009.
- Jacobs, P.H., Jokimäki, A., Rice, K., Green, S.A., Winkler, B., Polluted Discourse: Communication and Myths in a
Climate of Denial, Communicating Climate-Change and Natural Hazard Risk and Cultivating Resilience, Springer, 37-54, 2016.
Rice, K., Origin of Elements and Formation of Solar System, Planets, and Exoplanets, Astrobiology: An Evolutionary Approach, CRC Press, 19-48, 2014.
|Institute for Astronomy
Edinburgh EH9 3HJ
Phone: +44 (0)131 668 8384 (direct)
Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8416
Email: wkmr at roe.ac.uk